Sunday, February 23, 2014

Thoughts on Yoko Ono's "One"


Yoko Ono – One (1995)



            It’s amazing what slow-motion can do to transform and ordinary object into something fascinating.  When the video began, it took me a while to understand what I was looking at.  Once I realized it was a match, and watched it be lit, it blew me away how violent that little bit of fire was.  First it seemed like all it’s energy was on shooting flames out the end of the match, but after a while it transformed into a sort of blob-like entity that turned on the match itself.  It looked like it was eating the match, grabbing at it with liquid arms.  It felt like ages before the fire settled into a little flame.  When the flame was blown out, I was almost disappointed I didn’t get to see what it looked like to let it burn all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment